2018 Fall Leadership Institute
November 29- December 1, UM-D Fairlane Center North Building, 19000 Hubbard Drive, Dearborn, MI, 48126
The Fall Leadership Institute is open to all workers, union or non-union members, and leaders from a variety of organizations to learn together about new ideas, strategies and skills to meet the needs and challenges facing workers in our ever-changing workplaces. We welcome participants from all genders and all cultural or ethnic backgrounds.
1. BASIC UNIONS 101: What are unions? Where do they come from? How do they work? The basic foundations for active members.
2. BASIC GRIEVANCE HANDLING: For new stewards: The basics of representing members and winning justice.
3. ADVANCED GRIEVANCE HANDLING & ARBITRATION: What happens when a grievance is passed on to the international, region or district level?
4. COLLECTIVE BARGAINING-PRIVATE SECTOR: Negotiating under NLRA rules, including how to prepare proposals, costing, and table manners.
5. COLLECTIVE BARGAINING-PUBLIC SECTOR: Bargaining strategy and tactics for government and other workers not covered by the NLRA.
6. PUBLIC SPEAKING: Build confidence and poise in this workshop, which is focused on enhancing your ability to address a crowd or a roomful of workers.
7. STANDING COMMITTEES: Important work takes place in the standing committees of our unions. Women’s, Civil and Human Rights, Veterans’, etc., there is a role for you.
8. LOCAL UNION COMMUNICATIONS: An advanced class on print and electronic communications, includingnewsletters, brochures, posters, and leaflets, as well as social and electronic media.
You will need to apply for TAP in advance
Please Contact Marci Leahey – TAP Representative- 419-661-3532 if you have any questions or would like to enroll in these classes. You will need to apply for TAP in advance